Friday, September 30, 2005

White Stripes




Sept 17th, Bell Centre

This concert was a very short two days break after Pearl Jam. I knew the White Stripes a bit more. I have their precedent album Elephant and I knew most others songs from MTV france or mp3s.
Well I expected a short but intense concert in the tradition of garage bands and I wasn't disapointed. It was longer (1h40) and even wilder than I thought. Luckily even with all this electric guitar wildness the sound was way better than for pearl jam and we were much closer as you can see by the pictures.
The attendance was only half of Pearl Jam's and it gave a different athmosphere. Smaller scene, no sits on the front of it countributed to give the concert a more cozy, warmer feel. Quite surprising is the difference of popularity between the White Stripes and PJ, I think in France it would have been the other way round.

The show seemed to feature nearly all elephant songs but we had to wait for the encores to hear hit single seven nation army.
In between it was mostly heavy bluesy tunes where Jack White could show his ability to play wild solos without a backup guitar or bass and not sounding messy.
Meg has this trademark stumping style of drumming that has raised criticism. Yes it may not be exactly technically fancy but it gets the job done and helps the White Stripes have that unique sound.
Jack is nearly an orchestra all by himself, playing steel and electric guitar as well as piano, organ and Xylophone!
Well all in one it was a memorable night and the ending with Jack and Meg holding hands was very intimate and emotional.
I regret not having seen them when I had a chance in Paris now.
Well surely next time

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky boy :)

I just saw some video of the concert but never in live :(

I did like Elephant a lot but the last one "Get behind me satan" is maybe even better .... Weird to say but there is more unique sound inside.

And about PJ well I did know that they were still playing (I am kiding) That one of the band I want to see ones in my life I just did Deep Purple PJ could be next.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home